apizzol1

Where the Night Kind Roam

I review paranormal romance, urban fantasy, contemporary romance, historical romance, new adult and some young adult.

The Temptation of Lila and Ethan (The Secret, #3)
Jessica Sorensen
Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter, #0.5)
Nalini Singh
Making the First Move
Reese Ryan
Extreme Love - Abby Niles Reviewed for: Lets Get Romantical

Ok, I’m still kind of pissed about this book, it’s been lingering on my mind for a few days now. Not so much the story (which had some potential) but the author’s representation of bigger women and how they view themselves. Now I know she didn’t mean all women on the bigger end of the spectrum don’t think so low of themselves but to have her “heroine” have such a low self-image is beyond annoying! I’m “bigger” I’ve ranged from a size 8 at my smallest adult size to a size 18 at my largest and no matter my size I have never had such a terrible self-image where I thought so little of myself. As being bigger and dropping a lot of weight I know what the fat girl mentality is like and even after you lose the weight you’re still big in your head. However; I have never let my size dictate how I have seen myself nor how I have let other people see me. I am very disappointed that this is how the author chose to represent my fellow curvy girls and former curvy girls.

Caitlyn had just lost 80 ibs but can’t believe that any “hot guy” would hit on her. To her skinny = beautiful and pretty much maintains that idea for much of the book; which is a load of horseshit if you ask me. Caitlyn and her insecurities, her beliefs and her whining are beyond irritating. If she wasn’t complaining about herself and her weight (which Is a non-stop topic in this book) she is complaining about how awful fighters and the MMA is. I mean really come on! Who seriously has that strong of a reaction to MMA, hiding behind their hands, saying how awful it is. I’m not a huge fan of MMA, boxing or any other violence but her reaction is beyond over the top. Within the first couple of chapters I was ready to chuck the book out the window or at the very least stop reading the book but one thing saved it for me. Dante!

How could you not love Dante, he is a sweetheart, total sexy yet a primitive alpha that loves to fight and is good at it. He is in preparation for the biggest fight of his life and he can’t let anything get in the way of that until he meet Caitlyn who doesn’t seem to know who he is or fawn all over him. Dante proceeds to woo our annoying Miss Caitlyn, he wants more than a hookup and makes sure she knows. He wants her but she throws mixed messages at every turn. He does everything right, he never gives up on her and always gives her the benefit of the doubt. He may be a little but too perfect, but still he’s our Dante and I kept hoping he would ditch Caitlyn and find someone with a little self-esteem that wouldn’t throw him off at every turn because of her own insecurities.

Oh other annoyance with the book for me was the ending, I mean come on, really?!?! I really want to say what happened but I can’t give it away but it was beyond ridiculous. And the dude gets away with it, no cops, no FBI no consequences? No one noticed? Stupid. I do have to admit the 30% towards the end but not the ending was not as annoying as the first half nor as bad as the ending. It was somewhat decent. Some may end up loving this book and won’t have a problem with Caitlyn others will probably feel the same as me. Overall this book fell; flat however, I may read the second book in the series. I do kind of want to see how the best friend situation will turn out.

Rating: 2.5 Romanticals

*This book was provided to me through NetGalley for an honest review. No other compensation was provided.