apizzol1

Where the Night Kind Roam

I review paranormal romance, urban fantasy, contemporary romance, historical romance, new adult and some young adult.

The Temptation of Lila and Ethan (The Secret, #3)
Jessica Sorensen
Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter, #0.5)
Nalini Singh
Making the First Move
Reese Ryan
A Rake's Midnight Kiss - Anna Campbell Reviewed for: Where the Night Kind Roam and Lets Get Romanatical

A Rake's Midnight Kiss by Anna Campbell is the second in the Sons of Sin Series which is about a group of three friends whose circumstances of birth are questionable. Richard may have had it worse than his two friends as his “father” was gone for 18 months when he was born and his mother never bowed down to the Ton. Born and raised in scandal. One night Richard determined that by obtaining a family jewel that had disappeared he would finally get the redemption that he so badly needed. Enter in Genevieve, by a strange twist she inherited Richards family jewel and she has refused to sell to him multiple times. He will stop at nothing to get his jewel, even if it means seducing the delectable Genevieve.

From the beginning I liked Richard, he is pretty hard not to like. He is affable, a bit rakish but a good guy underneath it all. He cares about his friends and would do anything for them. You feel his pain on how he grew up, you definitely understand the façade he has had to develop to deal with his birth circumstances. From the first he sets out to charm Genevieve, she’s a hard sell but he cracks her armor little by little. He definitely puts in the work; it very quickly becomes less about the jewel and more about the woman. As a character he grows and finds himself, consider him a late bloomer. Genevieve as a character I had trouble relating to for a while. She can come off as cold and hard to please. After a while she started to grow on me, she starts to thaw out a little bit. She has basically grown up with her own father ripping her off on a regular basis, that’s got to hurt. He doesn’t particularly care about her and her well being is not one of his priorities unless it directly affects him. So I get it. Richard does a pretty good job on getting her to lighten up little by little. So by the end of the book you even like her, if not love her.

For about the first quarter of the book I had troubles getting into the story, it was a bit on the slow side. After about 25% it starts to pick up and I found myself really getting into the story We get some betrayal, thefts, passion and a case of opposites attract. Our two characters develop a lot over the course of the book both together as well as apart. Anna Campbell remains one of my favorite historical authors. She writes very well, her characters are fully developed, her stories passionate as well as humorous. I will definitely be looking out for the next book in this series!

Rating: 4

This copy was provided to me through NetGalley for an honest review. No other compensation was provided.